Tomlinson's Restaurant started out as a small Hot dog stand at Seaside Park in Bridgeport CT in the 1930's, begun by Harry Tomlinson.
Harry had was doing great with his business, and in the early 1940's he decided to move it to the corner of Noble Ave. and Concord St. at its present location. The decision was likely based on proximity to the GE factory which was working 3 shifts during WW2.
Harry died in 1947 and his business was bought by Platon Vlamis, a Greek immigrant, who decided to keep the Tomlinson's name since it was a thriving business.
Not much time passed when people noticed that the people working the Hot dog stand were not fluent in English. Most everybody that worked there had a heavy Greek accent which resulted in the nickname "The Greeks" for the business. To this day, many people refer to the business as "The Greeks" despite the fact that the cashiers have been fluent in English for over 20 years!
To this day, many people refer to the business as "The Greeks" despite the fact that the cashiers have been fluent in English for over 20 years!
The Hot dog stand was known for it's great food and quick service. It was not uncommon to have a long line waiting to be served even in the rain or snow! Tomlinsons became a Bridgeport landmark.
When Platon Vlamis died in 1986, his sons Nicholas and Constantinos took over the business.
Tomlinson's has seen many changes, in appearance and in its menu, but the most drastic change came when in 1995 the planning and zoning gave the Hot dog stand permission to become a full size restaurant.
Construction began in 1998 and the new restaurant opened on Nov. 11, 1999. Now we have a much more extensive menu and a drive-thru facility, which offers a great convenience for our customers.
We would like to think that we're evolving with the times, but not forgetting what made us famous in the first place - Great Food!